☆Animal Conference☆

I had a chance to participate in a conference of the Japanese Animal Hospital Association (JAHA). It was basically an annual meeting of the organisation for members, however, it was open to the public this time.


One of my friends, who used to do dog therapy activities together, is a member and she introduced this conference me.
It was a good opportunity to learn about how dog therapy activities were effective for patients, not only children but also adults, and elders.
As I used to do dog therapy with my dog, Shizuka, this debriefing session was so interesting for me.

The session agendas were as follows:
-Practice and Research from 4 different organisations
-Research outcomes for Dog and Cat Allergies
-Suggestions for puppies and kitties
-What the roles of dog behaviourists are

Each presentation was so impressive but I'm going to pick 2 of them.
Firstly, the result of dog therapy activities was so amazing. Since I have visited a nursery home with my dog, I know that these activities are effective, of course.
However, they found other effectiveness not only patients but also therapy dogs and handlers who did activities with their dogs.
The healed feeling influence each other and the activities themselves have a mutual effect.
When I looked back on my activities, I felt ease or some good feeling, even though I felt nervous because of responsibility for both nursery home residents and my dog. The result was proved by statistics.
The other thing I was impressed was about allergies. The presenter was a pediatrician and expertise of allergies. Nowadays, half of us have some allergy and medical treatments have been changing. A small amount of allergy substances are used as a medication to reduce symptoms. It is said that dogs and cats have an allergy and people who have an allergy cannot live with a dog or a cat. However, they can be used to it, too. Moreover, the allergy mostly comes from house dust on the fur.
Before saying something about allergy, it would be better to clean up your house.

The venue was one of the famous universities in Japan, Tokyo University. I had lunch at a cafeteria on the campus with friends. It was totally different from the university that I work for now; I meant it was good, expensive though.
It was a good opportunity to learn a lot of things, and experience another university as well.

By the way, I have just begun to foster a dog, a papillon girl and her name is "NOWA" named after the French word noir.
I am really excited about taking care of her.


Comments